Port of Entry Frequently Asked Questions

Can\'t find your question? Call one of our Port of Entry locations for questions or concerns:

Colorado Port of Entry Locations and Contact Information

Q. Do I need a CDL?

 For quick reference look at the CDL Flow Chart

Q. Chain law information?

Visit the the following link: Colorado Chain Law Information

Q. Do vehicles plated with farm plates coming from out of state have to pay fuel tax?

A: Yes, or have IFTA (if vehicle qualifies for IFTA) Visit here for IFTA requirements

Q. If I have an Oversize load do I have 30 minutes after sunset to put on my required lighting for hours of darkness?

No. Oversize loads must have proper lighting on and working at the exact time of sunset. This also applies to having lights on and working until exact time of sunrise. If permit says that the load cannot travel in hours of darkness then they must not start until sunrise exactly or shut down before sunrise exactly.

Q. What is the legal height limit for Colorado?

A. Colorado's legal height is 13 feet except where designated 14'6" by CDOT

Q. Road Conditions?

A. Visit cotrip.org

Q. Do I have to stop at the Port of Entry?

A. Visit the following Link for more information. Vehicles Required to Clear the Port of Entry

Q. Where can I buy a trip permit?

A. At any Port of entry location listed here or by phone. Port of Entry Locations and Contact Information For information regarding cost and duration visit here Permits and Forms

Q. How do I get a Oversize/Overweight Permit?

A. Annual permits can be purchased at the Port of Entry but they must be purchased before entering the state or moving the load. Single trip permits as well as annual permits can be purchased from Colorado Department of Transportation

Q. Safety questions, logbooks, vehicle, etc..?

A. For Driver related questions visit this link: Driver. For Vehicle related questions and regulations visit here: Vehicle

Visit the Motor Carrier Safety page for more information

Q Is it ok for oversize loads to travel in snow?

A. Oversize/Overweight Loads are Prohibited from Travel when hazardous conditions exist. Hazardous Conditions include SNOW, ICE, MUD, ROCKS, WIND and REDUCED VISIBILITY. No Oversize Movement is EVER allowed where the Chain Law is in Effect. More information is in Section 405: Hazards in the CDOT rules and regulations found here: OS/OW Rules and Regs

Q. Do I need a to get a Specific Ownership Tax Permit or SMM for my equipment?

A. Go to this link and click on the SMM tab to get information. 

Permits and Forms