A commercial motor vehicle is any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property.
Any commercial vehicle that meets ANY of these criteria must obtain a clearance:
- In excess of 16,000 lbs. empty weight
- In excess of 26,000 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) (found on VIN plate of vehicle)
- All vehicles displaying apportioned or GVW license plates must clear Colorado Ports.
- Any vehicle carrying a Placardable amount of Hazardous Materials if not in possession of an Annual Hazardous Materials Permit from Colorado.
- Must clear any Port of Entry located within five road miles of the route that the owner or operator would normally follow from point of departure to the point of destination