Who We Are
Colorado State Patrol's Hazardous Materials Section supports the safety of hazardous material transportation in order to protect citizens and the environment. There are numerous Hazardous Materials Technician-level trained Troopers who deployed throughout the state working with all levels of government as well as private industry through close communication and cooperation.
Hazardous Materials program goals are accomplished by:
- Safe and efficient movement of hazardous materials on Colorado roadways through enforcement of permitting and routing.
- Mutual cooperation with all entities involved in the shipping and transportation of hazardous materials.
- Providing prompt response and mitigation resources for on-highway hazardous incidents and support of local government through mutual aid agreements or other formal requests for assistance.
- Designation and maintenance of hazardous and nuclear materials transportation routes.
- Adoption of permitting, routing, and safe transportation rules and regulations.
- Enforcement of applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
- Hazardous Materials Special Notices
- Colorado Revised Statutes
- Designated Emergency Response Authority (DERA)
- Hazardous Material Topics
- Nuclear Materials Transportation
- Nuclear Materials Transportation Oversight - includes Rules, Routing, and Nuclear Materials Transportation Permits
- Colorado Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) Program
- Additional key phone numbers in a radiological transportation incident
Captain John Hahn, Commander
Hazardous Materials Section
15065 S. Golden Road
Golden, CO 80401
(303) 273-1911 (Fax)