Contact Us | Resources | CATPA Grants | CATPA Board of Directors | Insurance Assessments & Fees | Insurance Assessment FAQs
Auto Theft Prevention Resources
Are you buying a stolen car?
When buying a used car, do you know where it came from? Are you comfortable with the dealership or person you are purchasing the car through? Below is a list of resources to help you determine the status of the vehicle you are about to purchase. These are basic resources and not fully inclusive of all resources available. CATPA does not endorse any individual site but recommend using multiple sites to check your vehicle status. We would recommend contacting the Auto Theft Intelligence Coordination Center (ATICC) for any questions or concerns regarding the purchase or theft status of your vehicle. You can contact the ATICC at 303-239-4368.
- Have the seller complete a VIN Inspection. Colorado State Patrol offers VIN Inspections. Get A VIN Inspection (CSP)
- Complete a VIN Verification to assist in seeing if this vehicle is stolen. Colorado Motor Vehicle VIN Verification System (CBI)
- NHTSA VIN Decoder will assist in verifying if there are any outstanding issues with the vehicle as well as verify if the vehicle has been stolen or not.
- Make sure the vehicle of interest does not have current liens or other red flag issues. National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) can assist in this process.
- When completing the sale, visit the Department of Revenue - Motor Vehicle Division to verify all forms are completed for sale.
- Verify the vehicle's history through CARFAX.
- When buying a car, Kelly Blue Book can assist buyers in the true value of the vehicle of interest.
- National Automobile Dealers Association
Auto Theft Crime Reports
The links below are site were you can find auto theft crime information. Get info on auto theft in your neighborhood and auto theft crimes stats for the state and the nation.
Why police agencies need to collect better data on vehicle crimes (Pursuit Response)