Obtain A Special Event Permit

Patrol man watching a bike race
What is a special event?

Any athletic event or activity that may have an impact on the normal flow of traffic.  This would include events conducted within a private venue adjacent to a state highway.

Who must apply?
  •  Only events occurring outside incorporated municipalities.
  •  Any event requiring complete or partial closures of a state highway.
  •  Any event requiring restrictions of, or encroachments onto a state highway.
  •  Any event which is in such proximity to a state highway that traffic flow could be disrupted.
  •  Any event that requires the placement of traffic control devices on a state highway.
  •  An application is required so CSP can ensure that events are managed in a way that preserves public peace, health, and safety.
How do I obtain a Special Event Permit?

You can obtain a Special Event Permit from the Colorado State Patrol by completing an application for a permit.

To obtain a special event application click here. Once open, click the "Download" button in the top right, then "Direct Download" to open the file for editing. You will now have the file in an Excel document. Directions to complete the application are located within the document. In order to complete the document, you must enable editing within the document. For application guidelines click here.

Please email completed application to the Special Events Unit or the District in which your event occurs (see the map at the bottom of the page).

What additional items do I need to complete the event process?

A certificate of insurance in the amounts required by state statute (24-10-14 (1)  and the estimated costs of the event.

Do I need a permit to film a commercial or movie scene on a state highway?

Yes. If it would require either a full closure or partial closure of the road, or impact the normal flow of traffic.

What is the W-9 used for?

If we estimate the costs high and need to refund the event sponsor, we use this number to process the refund.

What are the fees I pay for?

Personal Services - Troopers $78.14 per hour, Civilian $48.85 per hour, Administrative Costs 3.5% of total personal services costs, and $25.00 permit fee, mileage for patrol cars .67 per mile per patrol vehicle, .70 per mile per patrol motorcycle. (Amounts are subject to change.) A minimum of four hours is required. 

I am filming a commercial or movie scene off of the highway, but will have several vehicles parked in the area along the road, do I need a special event permit?

Possibly, the use of CDOT right of way for commercial purposes requires a permit.

How far in advance do I need to begin the special event process with the State Patrol?

Your Special Event Application needs to be submitted at least 90 days prior to the start of your event. We also require compliance with all application deadlines for all agencies with shared jurisdiction, i.e. federal, state, county, municipal. 

Do I pay for mileage for the patrol cars/motorcycles used during an event?

Yes, we estimate the number of miles used and include that amount in the cost estimate. (.67 mile per patrol vehicle and .70 mile per patrol motorcycle.) (Amounts are subject to change.)

Do I pay up front for services?

Yes, prior to the start of the event. (Normally a minimum of 10 days before.)


For additional information and an application click on the link that corresponds with the event location
District map of Colorado





If you require information from the Colorado State Patrol that has not been addressed on this page,

please contact Captain Rob Juchem